The Battlefield Route
The Battlefields Route boasts the largest concentration of significant Battles and war related sites than anywhere else in South Africa. The Battlefields Route includes 82 battlefields, museums, old fortifications and places of remembrance.
Self drive the Kwazulu Natal battlefields route
To make a great day Anglo Boer War battlefield experience start from the Antbear Lodge with a couple of battlefield booklets and maps that are available at the lodge. First stop is the Churchill Capture Site. The monument commemorates the wreck of the armoured train and the capture of Winston Churchill. Next stop is the Ladysmith Siege Museum which is the best Anglo Boer War museum in South Africa. Have lunch in Ladysmith there are many options but we like to recommend Giunefowl where you can also get a taste of some Indian food. Next stop is the Spionkop battlefield which is an easy battle site to self guide yourself.
Advice on Visiting the Battlefields
For maximum pleasure and understanding visiting the Battlefields should not be done in an haphazard manner. But rather one should choose an era, war or campaign and then select the sites you want to visit. The best option to do is hire an expert a guide and read up a little on the sites and war before making your visit.
Recommended Battlefield Guides
- Rob Caskie is a charismatic and engaging story teller whose imaginative talks are lifelike as he takes you through the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift +27(0)82 4000 470 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alastair Heron – specialist, qualified Battlefield and Cultural guide specialises in Spionkop Battle site +27(0)82 5730224/5 email@example.com
- Danie du Preez Guiding offered to Anglo Boer, Anglo Zulu and Voortrekker battlefields and sites (Spionkop, Colenso, Islandwana, Rorkes drift, Blood River, Blaauwkrans). +27(0)82 493 5465 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liz Spiret interest is the Siege of Ladysmith and surrounding battles of the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902. +27(0)72 262 9669 email@example.com
- Piet van Rooyen conducts tours to Voortrekker and Anglo Boer war sites in the Ladysmith vicinity. +27(0)82 887 5297
- Shane Spargo leads tours throughout Natal and the Drakensberg and offers the unique service of leading motor cycle groups in these areas. +27(0)82 800 0620 firstname.lastname@example.org